Reptiles/Leopard gecko not eating

Question
We had a happy well adjusted gecko until we left for vacation. We left on we'd and came back on sat. I brought him to my father's house and left my father with instructions on how to care for him.  Upon returning we found out that he didn't eat any crickets and only one or two mealworms. His head and tail are a darker hue than usual and the rest of his body is looking pasty white. I thought maybe he is ready to shed, but why the darker color on his face and tail and why isn't the poor thing eating. He just watches the crickets go by and even jump across him without caring.  He was also hanging out in the day light today when in the the day he is always in his 'shelter'. Help!

Answer
Hi Alyssa,

I would strongly suspect that it is just the travel and change of environment that he is reacting to. I am assuming that he was moved and kept in the same enclosure that he had at home and all his heating etc remained the same. Even so, leos are very visual and he would be quite aware of the change of "scenery" outside his cage. Does your father have any cats or dogs that would have been within sight of the cage or was the cage near a window where flying birds were visible? Things like that, along with the actual travel can cause temporary stress which almost always results in non-feeding.

The white colouring does sound like the start of a shed cycle which itself can inhibit feeding.

You were not gone long enough for anything really drastic to happen. A well fed leo can easily stop feeding for a week or two without any ill affects. Keep an eye on him but I suspect he just has to re-adjust to being home.  

Reptiles

Thea