Reptiles/leopard gecko troubles

Hi there! My name is justin and i have a leopard gecko that ive had for about a month. After a couple weeks of letting her settle in, i started slowly letting her know that i was good and wasnt goin to hurt her. I hand ged her meal worms and started to pet her little by little. After a while she was great! She climbed up my arms willingly and stayed for a while. Well its been a couple weeks now and her attitude seems to have changed. She acts like shes scared of me and wont have anything to do with me :(  what can i do?
         Thank you very much for taking time to answer my question!

Hi Justin,

Is your leo somewhere around 6 to 10 months old by any chance? That is the age range that they hit puberty and the hormonal change also affects their behaviour. It should be temporary but may last a few weeks.

The change can happen rather suddenly and can manifest as either aggression or fear or both. It is very common with many other species like beardeds, water dragons and iguanas as well. My second iguana went from eating from my hand to flinging himself to the back of the cage whenever I opened the enclosure door as if I was going to make a stir-fry out of him. That lasted about a month. It is just a phase that they have to go through. There is no way to force them or hurry them past it. Be patient and I'm quite sure your previously tame leo will return.  

I can answer questions on the proper husbandry and diet of Iguanas, bearded dragons, geckoes, skinks, chameleons, tortoises, box turtles, treefrogs, non-venomous snakes and tarantulas. Also the breeding of some species of feeder insects. I have no experience with venonmous snakes and only limited experience with aquatic turtles.

I have been keeping and breeding reptiles for over 30 years. In addition to my regular job in the medical field I also worked for several years in a pet store that specialized only in exotics. The job entailed both caring for and answering questions on innumerable species. It required constant, extensive research into a wide range of reptiles. I have been called to appear on televised national media (CBC, CTV and Life Channel) as well as CBC radio to discuss the proper care of reptiles and other exotics in captivity. I currently own one or more species of those listed under my expertise with the exception of chameleons. I owned chameleons for years but keep none currently. I keep over 20 snakes comprising 5 species, both Colubridae and Boidae. I bred corn snakes for several years. I have a particular interest in treefrogs and currently have 5 different species. I've raised redfoot tortoises for 10 years and have two iguanas, one for 12 years.

A small and now defunct local magazine called "Pet Vue"

Diagnostic medical microbiology with some parasitology experience.