Reptiles/yellow belly turtle

i have 2 tank yellow belly turtles I want to feed them fruits and veggies and give them a vitamin but I don't know what to give them without hurting them they eat good but I want to give them more

Hi Angela,

You can offer a variety of greens and fruits such as collard, kale, escarole and dandelion. It is best to avoid feeding spinach more then just occasionally. It interferes with their ability to absorb calcium. You can also offer veggies like squash, peppers, cucumber and fruits like berries and melon pieces. Citrus fruit like oranges should be avoided though.

Because they feed in water it can be tricky to give a powdered vitamin/calcium supplement to aquatic turtles. Add some powder like RepCal or Herptivite to the chopped fruits and veg in a bowl and let it sit for a few minutes to help it absorb into the food a  bit. Try to offer it when they are hungry and likely to take the food quickly before all the supplement washes off.

If you are offering a good quality pellet in their diet there is less need to supplement heavily. They should get sufficient amounts of vitamins and minerals from the commercial diet. I am including a link that lists some of the better pellets and other food choices.

If your turtles are tame you might consider using a separate smaller container of water to feed them in (they only feed in water). That can help reduce the amount of uneaten food in your tank and keep it much cleaner.  

I can answer questions on the proper husbandry and diet of Iguanas, bearded dragons, geckoes, skinks, chameleons, tortoises, box turtles, treefrogs, non-venomous snakes and tarantulas. Also the breeding of some species of feeder insects. I have no experience with venonmous snakes and only limited experience with aquatic turtles.

I have been keeping and breeding reptiles for over 30 years. In addition to my regular job in the medical field I also worked for several years in a pet store that specialized only in exotics. The job entailed both caring for and answering questions on innumerable species. It required constant, extensive research into a wide range of reptiles. I have been called to appear on televised national media (CBC, CTV and Life Channel) as well as CBC radio to discuss the proper care of reptiles and other exotics in captivity. I currently own one or more species of those listed under my expertise with the exception of chameleons. I owned chameleons for years but keep none currently. I keep over 20 snakes comprising 5 species, both Colubridae and Boidae. I bred corn snakes for several years. I have a particular interest in treefrogs and currently have 5 different species. I've raised redfoot tortoises for 10 years and have two iguanas, one for 12 years.

A small and now defunct local magazine called "Pet Vue"

Diagnostic medical microbiology with some parasitology experience.