Reptiles/Bearded dragon ?

QUESTION: Hi our daughter has a female beardie that we purchased in December from a Repticon show in our city. I am wanting to find out if there is a non prescription deworming med that you can give them monthly to prevent them from getting worms (like with dogs). Thanks so much!

ANSWER: Hello Kim,

Sure, panacur is the most widely used dewormer for them.  It is equine, but, used safely with reptiles & chelonians.
You can get it from any local feed supply usually, but not at petstores.  It is sold without a prescription though.

I have a small online reptile supply store & sell Panacur treatments.
Is she having some trouble with worms?   How is she doing overall, is she eating?

QUESTION: Thanks for getting back with me. She overall is doing good. She is very spunky and full of energy. We had another bearded dragon that my daughter got for Christmas 2012 and he died unexpectedly back in November so we are a little nervous with this one. It was very traumatic for our daughter.  Our current beardie is kept in a 50 gallon tank with a reptile heating pad under one side and proper lighting. She has a rock, hammock, and log to climb on. We also have a water bowl for her. She is mostly eating crickets right now and she loves apples. I usually give her calcium on her apples. No, we have not seen any worms the breeder we purchased her from at Repticon mentioned the Panacur as a monthly preventative. That's what I wanting to know if this was ok to do.

Hello Kim,

I don't personally think that they need to be dewormed, monthly.
Which UVB light are you using for her, is it a tube bulb or a compact/coil light?
I would get a fecal done on her to see what her levels are.  
You can deworm for a preventative since you have not had her long.  
I don't think that it should be used monthly though.  Reptiles are pretty good about not needing meds a lot but too much can be just as bad as not enough when needed.

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.