Reptiles/Bearded dragon laying infertile eggs

Today, my 2 year old bearded dragon laid a clutch of about 20 eggs. They are clearly infertile, as she hasn't seen a male bearded dragon in maybe all of her life. We have seen her undergo some weird behavior, like scratching at her cage. Before today, I had no clue bearded dragons could lay a clutch even when infertile, so we were ill prepared. Since she wasn't supplied with a sand box, she was forced to lay in the corner of her cage. We know that the eggs can be deposited because they are infertile, but what is our next step?

Well, it's important to make sure she laid all of them.  If her appetite doesn't return within the week, or she shows any signs of unusual lethargy, a prompt vet visit is in order.  Otherwise, just feed her up, and make sure she gets plenty of calcium in her diet.  Laying eggs requires a lot of bodily resources.

Donna Fernstrom

My particular focus is on snakes and lizards, but I have a decent smattering of knowledge of turtles and crocodilians as well, plus the experience to get relevant information quickly if I don't have it on hand in my brain. I can answer questions on captive care, diet, breeding, incubation of eggs, starting hatchlings, and more. I am particularly experienced with ball pythons, Lygodactylus geckos and other small lizards with similar care requirements, leopard geckos, and garter snakes.

I am a professional breeder of ball python morphs, Lygodactylus (dwarf) geckos, and mourning geckos. I have begun working with Irian Jaya carpet pythons, and plan to expand to include more gecko species in the future. I also have a background breeding leopard geckos, and have kept several other species of small lizards, snakes, and a water turtle.

Nebraska Herpetological Society (

I have many care sheets published on my own website.

High School Graduate. Extensively self-taught due to high interest in wildlife and reptile care.

Fauna Classifieds board of inquiry Good Guy Certification