Reptiles/Trying to figure out what reptile is this?

which animal
which animal  
QUESTION: Can you please let me know what animal is shown in the picture? I am thinking its a monitor or a gila monster but probably am wrong. Any help is appreciated.

ANSWER: First, can you tell me Ace why this lizard appears to be in a piece of luggage as if you were smuggling it? Secondly, the photo isn't that great with him being in the luggage with poor lighting and partially obscured.

QUESTION: Someone emailed me the picture and i am thinking the bag is its sleeping bed or something. This is the only one they had, so no better lighting can be done without using some photoshop magic or something, but i am not good at that. So you don't know what it is, maybe make a guess?
Thank you

ANSWER: Who said I didn't know what it is? I'm wondering why you or the person who has it doesn't know what it is, but why it's in a suitcase with a towel...which is a pretty obvious smuggling technique, and it's also common for those involved in smuggling to not have a clue what they have captured and are now trying to sell. I don't just help identify possibly CITES protected illegally collected wildlife for what absolutely looks like a reptile smuggling operation. That's why I'm not going to tell you what it is without some more specific information from you. But what I will do is report this to Pak wildlife and customs enforcement so they can obtain IP addresses and find out the truth. If you aren't the one holding the animal(s) then I'd suggest you be forthcoming about who is, because right now, you look like an illegal wildlife trafficker to me.

QUESTION: Thats incredible. I am the admin of a website and someone posted it on our facebook page .  You can see the post there and I am trying to figure out what it is. You can go ahead and report to whoever and stop making accusatory remarks about people you dont know.

I already have reported it to the ministry of environment, and if you are a site admin of mitaaf, then you of all people should know better about asking such questions, posting suspicious pictures which indicate unlawful reptile trafficking, and then failing to identify yourself and the circumstances. It would behoove you to be more vigilant if you don't wish to be suspected. I'm doing my own job here buddy and I don't owe you explanation or apology for my suspicions of your anonymous and clearly suspicious posting.  

> Had you been more forthcoming initially instead of trying to keep the info close to the vest, this could have been avoided. I can clearly see that this is not a Gila. It is a monitor (Veranus) of some sort, but this looks like fakery and that this lizard has paint on it. I believe even more than before after seeing yet another photo of this lizard in a suitcase and with what appears to be PAINT on it's body, that this is illegal trafficking. I would encourage you to report this as well for possible unlawful wildlife trafficking. Painting an animal to obscure it's identity is a common illegal trafficking practice, as well as the appearance of them in suitcases and the person on the other end not even knowing the species. A legitimately purchased animal would have been identified and persons having animals which they aren't sure of the identification is evidence of wild collection, which is also unlawful in most jurisdictions without specific permits.  

YOU WILL GET A REJECTION OF YOUR QUESTION IF YOU FAIL TO FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO QUESTIONER IN FULL!. I am primarily here to assist with health concerns. I am here for the more difficult questions. Not for questions that you could research & easily find the answer yourself. My standards are that you provide DETAILED and RELEVANT background history on your pet before you ask me any question about it other than GENDER or ID. The requested information is in the instructions to questioner. Failure to answer each of those questions to provide that background, will result in your question being rejected. I can answer questions related reptile husbandry, identification (esp. in Texas and the SW), legal aspects, and advanced level medical care. I am the director of Wichita Falls Reptile Rescue (TX), a wildlife rehabilitator specializing in reptiles, a founding member of The Society for Horned Lizard Preservation, a subscriber to the International Veterinary Information Service,, educational content contributor to, and a Dept of State Health Services accredited animal control instructor (CE) for reptile handling. I do most of my own veterinary care in-house, including minor surgery and necropsy. I am most experienced in Chelonia with box turtles and common smaller tortoises; and in Squamata with everything from Anoles, Geckos, Beardies, and Monitors, to venomous snakes. I am most known for my expertise with horned lizards (Phrynosoma). With snakes, my primary expertise is in Crotalids (rattlesnakes), but I can answer a broad range of questions about various species. I am not aware of any reptile related question that I would not be able to provide some reasonable answer for. I have a direct style and may tell you something you did not want to hear; but the welfare of the animal comes FIRST with me, and I will always reflect that position in my answer, despite how it might make you feel.

I am a non-academic herpetologist with 25+ years reptile experience, and I am an accredited Texas Dept of State Health Services Animal Control Instructor for Reptiles (CE). I am a reptile rescuer, reptile wildlife rehabilitator, and subscriber to the International Veterinary Information Service, wikivet, and article/journal content contributor to Lafebervet. I have medical and scientific resources available, and I perform in house reptile veterinary care for my rescues. I am not a vet, but I read from the same materials and have had to correct quite a few in the past. The average vet is not well versed with reptile physiology and medical treatments.

Animals that I am currently caring for, or have significant rehabilitation and husbandry experience with: Horned Lizards (5 species); Eastern and Western Box Turtles; Painted, RES, YBS, Soft-Shell, and Cooter aquatic turtles; Russian Tortoises; Fire Bellied Toads; Fire Bellied Newts; Ornate Horned Frogs; Green Iguanas; Desert Iguanas; Spiny Lizards; Long Nosed Leopard Lizards; Anoles; Racerunners; Collared Lizards; Bullsnakes; Eastern Ratsnakes; Great Plains Ratsnakes; Kingsnakes; Gartersnakes; Cornsnakes; Boas; Pythons; Bearded Dragons; Water Dragons; Massasauga Rattlesnakes; Western Diamondback Rattlesnakes; Leopard, Mediterranean, Golden, Indo-Pacific, African White-Spotted Geckos; Savannah Monitors; Jeweled Curly-Tailed Lizards; Long-Tailed Grass Lizards; Fox Squirrels; Deer Mice; Hispid Cotton Rats; Merriam's Pocket Mice; Eastern Cotton-Tails; Blue Bar racing pigeon; Budgies; Asian Forest Scorpions.

Co-Founder & Director: Wichita Falls Reptile Rescue

Founder: The Society for Horned Lizard Preservation

Publications contributor. The Horned Lizard Husbandry Manual - self published 75 pages of care information on genus Phrynosoma.

Wikipedia entry "Horned Lizards" - contributed to a majority of the content., and various reptile related forums and email lists under the handles "fireside3" and PhrynosomaTexas".

My hands-on field, rehabilitation, and captive husbandry experience beats a PhD any day of the week. I am also a state accredited animal control instructor for reptile handling.

I was requested to provide my care manual on the Desert Horned Lizard (Phrynosoma platyrhinos), for the Montreal zoo. My manual is also used by several other zoological institutions in N. America. I also teach reptile education to summer camps, and instruct wildlife rehabilitators on live saving and rehab techniques with reptiles.