Reptiles/bearded dragon

i have 2 bearded dragons male and female i only had them a month after someone could not take them to new rented property they are around 5 year old and always been together and used to being handled they seem to have been mating all last week but this week when ever i get them out of the vavarian the female balloons up black and is hissing and trying to snap at me i don't understand they have a large 4ft tank with various logs hiding places and rocks a genuine basking light and a reptile uva light can you advice as it is really scaring me will she actually bite ?

Hello Karen,

I am sorry to hear about the female hissing!  Yes, actually they can bite pretty hard & it doesn't feel good.
Does she act stressed inside of her tank also or just when you got them out?
She could be stressed from overbreeding which is very common.
Has she laid any eggs previously or do you know?
Keep in mind that when they do lay eggs, they can lay 2-4 clutches of 10-25 or so eggs!  So you would need to freeze them or separate them so she doesn't lay eggs constantly.  It can get very stressful for them & is hard on them physically to mate all of the time & lay a lot of clutches.

Are you using a UVB light for them?  I can run over your tank setup also just to be sure it is all good, too.
How often do you give calcium?

That is too bad the people couldn't take them with them.  I always feel so sad that most wont try to find a situation in which they can take them.
Do you have any pictures of them?
What are you feeding them?

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.