Reptiles/Reference to small blind snake

I've never seen one ever until last night. Even though they're not venomous should I be concerned that there might be more at my house and if so do they affect dogs. Thank you

Hi Rex,

They are completely harmless to anything other then termites and similar bugs. They are neither venomous or poisonous, so even if your dog ate one, it would be fine.

Blind snakes generally stay underground but can blunder their way along moist water pipes and inadvertently end up in a house. That is why they are most often found in the kitchen or bathroom when they do. Just sweep it into a dustpan and put it near some moist soil. They will also surface after a heavy rain.

If you do start seeing them regularly in your house you might want to have a pest control company take a look. Not for the snakes but because blind snakes feed on termites and they can provide an early warning system that you may have a termite problem.  

I can answer questions on the proper husbandry and diet of Iguanas, bearded dragons, geckoes, skinks, chameleons, tortoises, box turtles, treefrogs, non-venomous snakes and tarantulas. Also the breeding of some species of feeder insects. I have no experience with venonmous snakes and only limited experience with aquatic turtles.

I have been keeping and breeding reptiles for over 30 years. In addition to my regular job in the medical field I also worked for several years in a pet store that specialized only in exotics. The job entailed both caring for and answering questions on innumerable species. It required constant, extensive research into a wide range of reptiles. I have been called to appear on televised national media (CBC, CTV and Life Channel) as well as CBC radio to discuss the proper care of reptiles and other exotics in captivity. I currently own one or more species of those listed under my expertise with the exception of chameleons. I owned chameleons for years but keep none currently. I keep over 20 snakes comprising 5 species, both Colubridae and Boidae. I bred corn snakes for several years. I have a particular interest in treefrogs and currently have 5 different species. I've raised redfoot tortoises for 10 years and have two iguanas, one for 12 years.

A small and now defunct local magazine called "Pet Vue"

Diagnostic medical microbiology with some parasitology experience.