Reptiles/Leopard Gecko eating but not defecating

I got my Leopard Gecko Miko 5 days ago she's 1 year old,

She's eating well and the temps of her vivarium are spot on, but she's not going to the bathroom. I check everyday and nothing, she is also on paper towel substrate.She won't let me handle her yet as it's only been 5 days.

Thank you

Hi Rowen,

Reptiles have a much slower metabolism then mammals so defecating every few days is normal for them. Her feeding frequency before you acquired her will also affect the next time she goes.

The easiest way to encourage a bowel movement with reptiles is to give them a soak in just barely warm water. Just deep enough to come half way up her body. They frequently relieve themselves within a few minutes of being in the water.

Hydration, temperature and diet will all affect the frequency. Her temp. should be about 90F in the hot spot to keep her metabolism at the optimum rate. Hydration will keep her bowel contents fluid enough to move things along correctly. Proper calcium supplementation is also important. Calcium plays a role in the bowel contractions which moves the food/waste down through the system and eventually out.

If she is eating well I doubt you have anything to worry about and she will probably go in the next few days.  

I can answer questions on the proper husbandry and diet of Iguanas, bearded dragons, geckoes, skinks, chameleons, tortoises, box turtles, treefrogs, non-venomous snakes and tarantulas. Also the breeding of some species of feeder insects. I have no experience with venonmous snakes and only limited experience with aquatic turtles.

I have been keeping and breeding reptiles for over 30 years. In addition to my regular job in the medical field I also worked for several years in a pet store that specialized only in exotics. The job entailed both caring for and answering questions on innumerable species. It required constant, extensive research into a wide range of reptiles. I have been called to appear on televised national media (CBC, CTV and Life Channel) as well as CBC radio to discuss the proper care of reptiles and other exotics in captivity. I currently own one or more species of those listed under my expertise with the exception of chameleons. I owned chameleons for years but keep none currently. I keep over 20 snakes comprising 5 species, both Colubridae and Boidae. I bred corn snakes for several years. I have a particular interest in treefrogs and currently have 5 different species. I've raised redfoot tortoises for 10 years and have two iguanas, one for 12 years.

A small and now defunct local magazine called "Pet Vue"

Diagnostic medical microbiology with some parasitology experience.