Reptiles/injured land monitor

so last week my dog bit a land monitor(Srilankan-Asian),and its suffering from a bad cut in its back i have put on medicine what more should i do???

It is likely that the injury is infected. The lizard needs to be seen by a professional. Please find a way to take it to a veterinarian. Keeping the wound as clean as possible is important. You can try soaking the monitor in a weak Betadine solution (diluted to the color of tea) every day until it heals. I wish I could be of more help but it is something that a veterinary doctor needs to take care of. Best of luck to you.

Jennifer C Parnell

I can answer questions about health, diet, behavior, housing requirements, common illnesses, and general husbandry of most reptiles. My answers are not a substitute for veterinary care. If I don't feel confident about answering your question, I can generally point you to someone who can answer it, or advise you to seek veterinary help.

My father is a licensed veterinarian for 40+ years. He specialties include venomous American snakes, reptiles, rodents, primates, dogs, cats, goats, geese. I grew up assisting him and have always maintained rescued, injured, or unwanted reptiles. I'm familiar with snakes, most common lizards, turtles, terrapins and tortoises. I'm also familiar with Bearded Dragons and currently have several.

veterinary technician wildlife biology