Reptiles/Mountain horned dragon questions

Skin problems? Or possible burn?
Skin problems? Or poss  

What is this?
What is this?  
Hi i have a mhd that was purchased about a week ago, yeaterday i went out for the day and left the basking light on, shes in a 20 gallon awuarium and the basking spot is supported by a 50 watt incindescent uvb bulb for heat, thetemperature of the tank is nirmally around 78 and i keep it at 78 at night, anyways when i arrived home he had this whiteish grey spot along his back, i cant find any information in this im hoping its shedding but this is my forst mhd so id rather know exctly whats going on, if you have any info on what this could be please let me know! Also she is a baby, possibly not ven a month old i that changes things and has been lethargic sice getting home and has not eaten much, here is a picyure of whats goig on, thank you so much

Hi Alana,

Thank you for the photos and I apologize for the delay. Your question went to my spam folder for some reason.

It does not look like shedding. The location, colour and size does resemble a thermal burn.

Is there a climbing branch quite close to the bulb? When you are measuring basking area temperatures you need to place the thermometer at the highest/hottest point that your animal can access. That may mean taping the thermometer to the branch temporarily to get the reading or using a temperature gun.

It seems to defy logic that an animal would sit and allow itself to get burned but  MHDs are humid mountain forest dwellers and not naturally exposed to concentrated, direct heat. He may lack the sensory input pathways to detect excessive focused heat. The same problem exists with reptiles and hot rocks. They don't realize they are being burned when they lay on them.

I have linked a site that discusses treatment recommendations. Good luck.  

I can answer questions on the proper husbandry and diet of Iguanas, bearded dragons, geckoes, skinks, chameleons, tortoises, box turtles, treefrogs, non-venomous snakes and tarantulas. Also the breeding of some species of feeder insects. I have no experience with venonmous snakes and only limited experience with aquatic turtles.

I have been keeping and breeding reptiles for over 30 years. In addition to my regular job in the medical field I also worked for several years in a pet store that specialized only in exotics. The job entailed both caring for and answering questions on innumerable species. It required constant, extensive research into a wide range of reptiles. I have been called to appear on televised national media (CBC, CTV and Life Channel) as well as CBC radio to discuss the proper care of reptiles and other exotics in captivity. I currently own one or more species of those listed under my expertise with the exception of chameleons. I owned chameleons for years but keep none currently. I keep over 20 snakes comprising 5 species, both Colubridae and Boidae. I bred corn snakes for several years. I have a particular interest in treefrogs and currently have 5 different species. I've raised redfoot tortoises for 10 years and have two iguanas, one for 12 years.

A small and now defunct local magazine called "Pet Vue"

Diagnostic medical microbiology with some parasitology experience.