Reptiles/my 1 year old chameleon has a small swollen eye

My Chameleon is 1 year old he has always been healthy and a great eater but just this month after he started shedding he stopped eating and is moving very weakly. I I'm very worried because his sister died 2 months ago and it started the same way but she had a bone disease and never grew more than 2 inches in a year. He still has skin on him that hasn't shedded fully like he was to weak to get it off. I all the beat supplies and vitamins what is wrong please if you have any idea what i should do left me know thank you  Samantha

Hi Samantha,

I will need more detailed information about his care. Exactly what type of lights are you using and what is the temperature in his basking spot? What type of vitamins are you using and how often. Is it a multi-vitamin you are using or a calcium supplement or both? What insects has he been eating and how often are you dusting them? How is he being given water?

If the female was indeed suffering from a bone disease then that is almost always the result of a dietary deficiency and/or improper lighting (lack of UVB exposure). Assuming he was being kept the same way, then that could suggest the cause of the current weakness.

The shedding problem is likely the result of low humidity which is common this time of year. That could be contributing to the eye swelling as well. Misting him heavily is the easiest and least stressful way to soften and loosen the old skin. If you have a mist setting on your shower then holding him under it for a few minutes is ideal.  

I can answer questions on the proper husbandry and diet of Iguanas, bearded dragons, geckoes, skinks, chameleons, tortoises, box turtles, treefrogs, non-venomous snakes and tarantulas. Also the breeding of some species of feeder insects. I have no experience with venonmous snakes and only limited experience with aquatic turtles.

I have been keeping and breeding reptiles for over 30 years. In addition to my regular job in the medical field I also worked for several years in a pet store that specialized only in exotics. The job entailed both caring for and answering questions on innumerable species. It required constant, extensive research into a wide range of reptiles. I have been called to appear on televised national media (CBC, CTV and Life Channel) as well as CBC radio to discuss the proper care of reptiles and other exotics in captivity. I currently own one or more species of those listed under my expertise with the exception of chameleons. I owned chameleons for years but keep none currently. I keep over 20 snakes comprising 5 species, both Colubridae and Boidae. I bred corn snakes for several years. I have a particular interest in treefrogs and currently have 5 different species. I've raised redfoot tortoises for 10 years and have two iguanas, one for 12 years.

A small and now defunct local magazine called "Pet Vue"

Diagnostic medical microbiology with some parasitology experience.