Reptiles/Leopard Gecko Eye Infection

Question
Similar looking situation
Similar looking situat  
Hi! I have a leopard gecko who I believe is a male, and about 3 1/2 years old. He is exhibiting symptoms of an eye infection in both of his eyes. There is a discharge from both eyes, that results in his eyes being closed most of the time. This has been going on the past couple days. I don't believe they are eye caps from shedding, as his last shed was over 2 weeks ago, and he's had eye caps in the past, so I know what they look like. I don't believe it's a severe infection, as his eyes don't look as bad as pictures I've seen. So far I've just taken a Q-Tip soaked in warm water and gently ran it over his eyes to help him open them. I've read online that saline solution (preservative free)can be used to help flush out the eye,so I guess my main questions would be A. Is saline solution actually safe to use? B. What would be the safest way to administer it? and C. If that isn't a good solution, what should I do to help him? The nearest reptile/exotic pet veterinarian is over 4 hours away, so I would really rather take care of it on my own if at all possible. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Answer
Hello Lindsey,

I am sorry your gecko is having eye issues.  
What type of substrate are you using for him?  
Yes, the sterile saline solution works great for the eyes.  Just simply flush the eyes out daily once or twice to help out for him.
If they are looking infected, you can try to find an antibiotic eye ointment for him, called Terramycin.  You may be able to find it at the local feed store.  If not, it is sold online as well.
I do sell that particular product on my online reptile supply store, if you aren't able to find it & would like to try it out.

Let me know how he is doing.

Tracie

Reptiles

Tracie Kretzschmar