Hi, um i have a painted turtle who is not even a year old and is 4 and a half inches, and me and my mom think he is getting lonely. So we want to get a 3 month old baby red ear slider from turtle shack. We are concerned that if we do get the baby turtle and put them in the same 20ish gallon tank that they will get into fights or bite or hurt each other or will they be friends?

Hi Jessica,

You and your Mom don't have to worry about your turtle feeling lonely. Turtles are not social animals and don't require the company of other turtles at all. Sometimes you will see turtles sharing the same log in a pond but they are not doing that to be with each other. It just means that the log is the best and safest place to bask.

Some people are able to keep turtles together without problems but there is always the possibility of aggression, fighting and biting. If that happens you have to be prepared to house the turtles separately or find another home for one of them. You would definitely have to get a larger tank if you tried to keep a second turtle. Female red ear sliders can grow to 9 or 10 inches in length.  

I can answer questions on the proper husbandry and diet of Iguanas, bearded dragons, geckoes, skinks, chameleons, tortoises, box turtles, treefrogs, non-venomous snakes and tarantulas. Also the breeding of some species of feeder insects. I have no experience with venonmous snakes and only limited experience with aquatic turtles.

I have been keeping and breeding reptiles for over 30 years. In addition to my regular job in the medical field I also worked for several years in a pet store that specialized only in exotics. The job entailed both caring for and answering questions on innumerable species. It required constant, extensive research into a wide range of reptiles. I have been called to appear on televised national media (CBC, CTV and Life Channel) as well as CBC radio to discuss the proper care of reptiles and other exotics in captivity. I currently own one or more species of those listed under my expertise with the exception of chameleons. I owned chameleons for years but keep none currently. I keep over 20 snakes comprising 5 species, both Colubridae and Boidae. I bred corn snakes for several years. I have a particular interest in treefrogs and currently have 5 different species. I've raised redfoot tortoises for 10 years and have two iguanas, one for 12 years.

A small and now defunct local magazine called "Pet Vue"

Diagnostic medical microbiology with some parasitology experience.