Reptiles/Uromastyx and white millet shoots

Question
Hey,

I have two geyri uromastyx (3 yrs old) in a 150 gallon tank. They are on white millet substrate. I was thinking of putting a shallow dish of soil under part of the millet to grow a 'meadow' of millet grass. Would you recommend this and is it safe/nutritious for the uros to eat the shoots? Thanks!

Ryan

Answer
Sprouted millet should be safe and nutritious.  My only concern with your plan is that it may be very difficult to keep the seeds moist in such a heat-blasted environment (as uromastyx require), and that it could invite mold.  You'd probably be better off just sprouting some millet for them on a windowsill.

Reptiles

Donna Fernstrom