Reptiles/Uromastyx and white millet shoots

I have two geyri uromastyx (3 yrs old) in a 150 gallon tank. They are on white millet substrate. I was thinking of putting a shallow dish of soil under part of the millet to grow a 'meadow' of millet grass. Would you recommend this and is it safe/nutritious for the uros to eat the shoots? Thanks!

Sprouted millet should be safe and nutritious.  My only concern with your plan is that it may be very difficult to keep the seeds moist in such a heat-blasted environment (as uromastyx require), and that it could invite mold.  You'd probably be better off just sprouting some millet for them on a windowsill.

Donna Fernstrom

My particular focus is on snakes and lizards, but I have a decent smattering of knowledge of turtles and crocodilians as well, plus the experience to get relevant information quickly if I don't have it on hand in my brain. I can answer questions on captive care, diet, breeding, incubation of eggs, starting hatchlings, and more. I am particularly experienced with ball pythons, Lygodactylus geckos and other small lizards with similar care requirements, leopard geckos, and garter snakes.

I am a professional breeder of ball python morphs, Lygodactylus (dwarf) geckos, and mourning geckos. I have begun working with Irian Jaya carpet pythons, and plan to expand to include more gecko species in the future. I also have a background breeding leopard geckos, and have kept several other species of small lizards, snakes, and a water turtle.

Nebraska Herpetological Society (

I have many care sheets published on my own website.

High School Graduate. Extensively self-taught due to high interest in wildlife and reptile care.

Fauna Classifieds board of inquiry Good Guy Certification