Reptiles/UV light vs LED light

QUESTION: "I have an Wichita Map Turtle,(Though I believe is a False Map). He looks to be a few month old, but my question is: If I have an LED light that came with the tank, do I still need a UV lamp for when he's basking. Or will he be fine with just the LED light?"

ANSWER: Hello Christina,  

Yes, I highly recommend using a UVB light for him as well to keep him from getting soft shell deformities.
What type of tank do you have?
I recommend either the Reptisun 10 tube bulb or the Arcadia D3 12% tube, either one.  Or if you have a large enough tank, you could consider a mercury vapor bulb, the Powersun which has UVB & heat all in one.  It is a decent bulb & sold in either 100 or 160 watt increments.

Do you have a picture of your turtle?

Wichita Map Turtle
Wichita Map Turtle  
QUESTION: I Have a 20gallon Aqua Culture LED Aquarium (Tank)

Hello Christina,

Oh he is so cute!  He will grow a little more so in the future you can increase his tank size to around a 40 gallon or so as they love to bask!
I hope you enjoy him, should be a lot of fun to watch.  :-)

Let me know how he is doing!

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.