Reptiles/bearded dragon

Eddie is 7yrs old. He stopped eating about a week ago and in spite of regular bathing became dehydrated and lethargic. I took him to the vet and they took X-rays, blood and stool. The vet could not determine any issues and they gave him shots in his legs to help rehydrate him and I am force feeding him 25/75 science diet critical care and water. He seems better, but now he can't go to the bathroom and his insides keep sticking out his vent. He is obviously in terrible pain and his vet is out of town now.

Hello Mary,

I am so sorry to hear about Eddie!
Can you run over your tank setup with me, such as which type & brand of UVB light are you using?  Is it a compact/coil light or a tube bulb?
What are the temperatures in his tank?
How often do you give calcium supplementation for him?

He has prolapsed unfortunately.  How bad is it?
Try giving a sugar bath with a good amount of sugar mixed with cool water, to help reduce the swelling so that maybe the area will go back in on its own.  You can use some ky jelly or vaseline to help keep the area moist so it wont dry out.

Do you have any pictures of him?  
When do you expect to get the blood tests back?  
I would love to take a look at them if you can get a copy of them for me.

Is his beard black?  For now, the focus needs to be on getting his prolapse taken care of right now.  Let me know how he is doing & how the sugar bath did for him.  

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.