Reptiles/Lizard leg twitching

Question
Hello. My lizards feet are twitching. I don't know what to do. I have had calcium supplementary and gave that to him for a couple months and then stopped. He rest lettuce meal worms and crickets. I started sprinkleing calcium on his left overs a couple minutes ago but he was full. I shoved a piece of Lettuce and a cricket with calcium in his mouth and he ate that. He is still twitching. Will he die? His name is Apollo.

Answer
Jon,

It sounds as though he is suffering the effects of MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease) which is caused by a calcium deficiency and a vitamin D3 absorption issue. What sort of UV light does he have? It is necessary for him to have a tube type UV bulb on all day.

Also, a big problem is see here is that he is being fed lettuce. Lettuce has no nutritional value at all, it is primarily water. The greens he needs are things like mustard greens, collard greens, beet greens, dandelions, etc. Along with greens, shredded carrot, shredded cabbage, diced strawberries, blueberries and other high nutrient foods. Try googling "Appropriate bearded dragon diet" for more specifics.

For the time being you need to make sure he get the calcium supplement 5 days per week and a vitamin supplement the other 2 days per week. He should get better as long as he has the right light, the right food and the right supplements.

Feel free to check back in. I hope Appolo does well.

Jennifer

Reptiles

Jennifer C Parnell