QUESTION: Ok I have 2 corn snakes and we know one is a female as it played infertile eggs last year when she wasn't with my snake.. ok I came into my room to do a daily clean and I find both of them wedged into a hut with 9 eggs and I don't know what to do! Help please

ANSWER: Do you know how to distinguish fertile eggs from slugs (unshelled, infertile eggs)?

I see a mistake here - snakes should NEVER be housed together. They should always be kept individually, in their own enclosures.  Males of many species will combat one another, and apart from breeding, snakes find the presence of other snakes to be stressful.  It's not in their best interests to keep them together.

Take a very bright flashlight, preferably LED, and shine it into the eggs.  Fertile eggs should have nice, white, leathery shells.  When lit, you will be able to see blood vessels within the egg.

In order to give them a chance of survival, you will need to QUICKLY get them into a proper incubator, unless your home has areas around 80F.  Repti-bator reptile incubators can be sold at pet stores, or you can use a HovaBator still air model chicken egg incubator (if you get a hovabator, you will also need a quality proportional thermostat, as the wafer thermostat it comes with is too tricky to keep stable).

You'll need vermiculite or perlite, and a small plastic container with a lid, for the eggs, which will fit into your incubator.
Mix the perlite or vermiculite 50/50 with water by WEIGHT - not volume.  If you use vermiculite, it should hold together when your squeeze it, but you should not be able to wring water out of it.  Set the eggs in this with the tops exposed, and place them in the incubator at 82F, and around 60 days later (give or take 5), you should have baby snakes pipping.

QUESTION: Ok about the snakes being together what if their in a huge tank and have multiple houses and I believe my original snake was a male and the one I gained from my brother is a female

ANSWER: Yes, that doesn't matter.  They should not be housed together.  You will not find advice from any expert in the field who says this is okay.  It's something only novices and pet stores would ever suggest doing.

They should be separated as soon as possible.  (For one thing, you don't want the female to double-clutch when she may not be in optimal physical condition to produce two clutches in a single year).

QUESTION: Ok I did the torch to egg and they have little red blobs in them does this mean their fertile?? If so how much does a incubator cost and do you know if pets at home sell them?? =/ the female is Sat on the eggs currently.

The female is likely resting in a comfortable place where the eggs are, but she cannot incubate them or care for them in any way.

Judging by your use of the term 'torch' for a flashlight, I'm going to assume you are not in the US, so I can't help you with prices or places to buy things (sorry).

If you do not see veins when they're properly lit (candled), they're not fertile.  But 'little red blobs' could be anything from infertile eggs, to a light that simply is not bright enough, so I wouldn't assume that they're bad.  Are they white and plump?

Donna Fernstrom

My particular focus is on snakes and lizards, but I have a decent smattering of knowledge of turtles and crocodilians as well, plus the experience to get relevant information quickly if I don't have it on hand in my brain. I can answer questions on captive care, diet, breeding, incubation of eggs, starting hatchlings, and more. I am particularly experienced with ball pythons, Lygodactylus geckos and other small lizards with similar care requirements, leopard geckos, and garter snakes.

I am a professional breeder of ball python morphs, Lygodactylus (dwarf) geckos, and mourning geckos. I have begun working with Irian Jaya carpet pythons, and plan to expand to include more gecko species in the future. I also have a background breeding leopard geckos, and have kept several other species of small lizards, snakes, and a water turtle.

Nebraska Herpetological Society (

I have many care sheets published on my own website.

High School Graduate. Extensively self-taught due to high interest in wildlife and reptile care.

Fauna Classifieds board of inquiry Good Guy Certification