Reptiles/My Green Anole Died But I Don't Know How
Hi I'm Wyatt and I was wondering if you can help me, I just can't figure out how my female green anole Ally died, she died just last night and when I turned off her uvb light she still had here poudered donut (Cricket Covered in Nutrition pouder) she had been acting perfectly fine no lack of appitate I had been spraying her terrairan properly too? I really just want too know ho my baby girl died😩
The only way to honestly be certain would be to pay a vet for a necropsy. Apart from that, perhaps we can get to the bottom of things with a bit of logical guesswork. First, I need all the details of her enclosure - size, decor, temperatures, humidity, how water was offered, and how often, what kind, and what size food was offered. How old was she, and how long had you had her? Did you remove uneaten food from the enclosure, once she was fed? Had she ever been to a vet?
The average lifespan of a green anole is around 4 years, but they can live up to 7 with ideal care. Most green anoles are wild-caught, and experience stress, dehydration, and increasing parasite loads on their way to a pet store. This is very hard on their body, and can shorten their lifespan. Most owners don't know that they must have their pet tested for parasites, and treated. Parasites can build to lethal levels through reinfection in a captive environment. However, appetite is usually suppressed when parasite loads get too high, so that is less likely to be the cause of your anole's death.
Because anoles are usually wild-caught, is it possible that Ally was already an older anole when you got her, and that she may simply have died of old age/age-related issues such as heart failure?
Unless captive-bred, it's also possible that some internal organs were damaged in the ordeal she went through after capture - the kidneys are particularly delicate. They could eventually fail, if that were the case.
Did she eat normally the day before she died? You said she had a cricket in her cage when the lights went out (this is usually a bad idea - crickets can chew on sleeping reptiles) - if some illness struck her suddenly, it would make sense that she refused the meal.
Most reptile illnesses show loss of appetite for days before the situation becomes critical, though - in the case of something like congestive heart failure or organ failure, there may be a lot less warning, and nothing that could really be done to prevent it.
I do encourage you, if you want to get another anole, to clean and disinfect the enclosure - and discard anything that cannot be disinfected. Use a 10% bleach solution, and leave on for 5 minutes. Rinse very thoroughly until no bleach smell remains. If you hunt around online, you will probably be able to find captive-bred anoles. While they will cost a great deal more, they will be of a known age, already adapted to captivity, and free of parasites - they should thrive for you.