Reptiles/Horned lizard

Question
Look I know you only want hard questions.... But I just brought a horned lizard home from my cabin. I built him a shelter made of sandy dirt and some bedding leaves. I just want advice overall on how to take care of him/her. I would really like to see it live and I'm really sorry I took it away from its home.

Answer
Well, you're in luck because you took a Phrynosoma from the wild, and that MAKES IT a hard question. You just took one of the most difficult to keep alive species of reptile there is.

“Horned lizards are among the most difficult lizards to keep in captivity because they have specialized dietary and thermal requirements, and they are susceptible to disease.” -Dr. Richard Montanucci, professor of herpetology (emeritus, Clemson), & author

"Whenever captive, Phrynosoma will rarely survive if not given a regular offering of live ants". Dr. Wade Sherbrooke, author of "Introduction to Horned Lizards of North America" and horned lizard researcher at the Southwest Research Station, Portal, AZ.

"Unfortunately these lizards are frequently collected from the wild for pets. They usually die in captivity because of a lack of proper husbandry. This is an incredibly delicate lizard, subject to stresses which include handling. For this reason, it should be viewed only, and not handled at all." David Cooper of the North Carolina Herpetological Society.

You're in the right place anyway, because I'm a known authority in this area of Phrynosoma husbandry, and as a specialized rehabber. My page can be found at facebook.com/hornedlizards If the capture location is known to within a few hundred yards, my best advice to you is to return it to the wild morning or evening ASAP, rickety tick. This is not one of those kinds of reptiles that you can capture and make a nice pet of very easily and via cliff notes. I know. I wrote a 75 page care manual for a zoo on them, and I have kept 6 of the 8 native US species for 12 years now. This is strictly an EXPERT level lizard, and they require a massive amount of time and food resources compared to other reptiles. They need daily care that most others do not.

First thing though, you will need to follow the instructions like everyone else. That means a photo for state of health and species ID, and the background info requested in the instructions. Unless you care enough to see it live to find it's original capture point and return it, which is frankly my advice.  

Reptiles

Mick