Reptiles/My snake has a large cut/slit in his stomach

His cut
His cut  
My snake always likes to climb on things in the vivarium and I have just noticed that their is a large slit in his stomach what shall I do? I have a royal/ball Python btw.

Hello Lewis,

Oh wow, that looks pretty bad.  Did he gash it on a log?
What type of objects do you have in the tank with him?

That could get infected as an open wound.  Can you get him to the vets for treatment?  It might be a good idea to get it wrapped up to keep dirt/debris out of the wound.

Let me know how he is doing.

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.