Reptiles/bumps on top and bottom lip of beardie

My bearded dragon, which is about 5.5-6 inches long, has developed some bumbs on his is thin and long and a bit dark, located on the upper lip on the right while the other is tan-ish and is a big bump located on the lower lip on the left. Should I be worried? Should I take him to a vet immediately?

Hello Michael,

Gosh, could you send some pictures of that?
Do you leave crickets in his tank to where they could bite him leaving those areas infected?
For now, I would try to get those areas cleaned off with some diluted betadine & then use some antibiotic ointment to help keep it from getting infected.

Is he on loose substrate/sand that could be sticking to his mouth?  Just trying to imagine what it could be at the moment without a picture.

He is a very tiny baby, too.  What are you feeding him?  You have tried to bathe him to see if it came off, right?  

Let me know how he is doing & if you do take him to the vets also.

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.