Reptiles/Crested gecko hatchling

Three weeks ago I had two crested geckos hatch at the same time. Almost a week ago only one hatched and the other egg was sinking ( should of hatched). Before throwing it out I dissected the egg and found a full term gecko inside right now. It doesn't look alive :( do you think it would of hatched if I left it alone? Not sure what to do with it now? I tried to put it back in the egg and in the incubator. What happened to the gecko? Why did it not hatch, it looks perfect :(

Hello Marta,

That is too bad, very sad indeed.  
One hatched & the other one didn't?
Were the geckos inbred?  Sometimes an embryo just has genetic issues from the start & just doesn't hatch out.
If it hadn't hatched out by then it most likely wasn't going to.
Have you seen any changes in the egg after putting it back into the incubator?

What were the temperatures & humidity in the incubator?

I am sorry that the one didn't make it.  How is the other one doing, do you have any pictures?

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.