Reptiles/Chinese Water Dragon and Other Pets

I have been considering getting a Chinese water dragon, and the people at the local pet store say that it should be safe in an aquarium from my other pets, but they could not answer if the other pets would be safe for the water dragons mental well being.  I have several cats and a VERY large, loud dog that also live in my house.  Keeping the CWD away from my pets would not be an issue, but I would not want the cats, or dog to poorly affect the mental health of the CWD.  Would pets peeping into his cage and talking to him cause the CWD a lot of unhealthy anxiety?  Or would he be okay (so long as the kitties cannot get into him?)

Hello Heather,

Chinese water dragons are extremely sensitive to loud noises.  
They would not do well being in high traffic areas most of the time.
The cats especially would be very interested in the lizard, so you would need to be sure that the tank is secured so the cats wouldn't get to her.
If your dogs are not always barking that may be ok.  Remember, animals that are much larger can stress them out causing her to retreat & hide for the majority of the day.  
Your dog barks a lot then?  If so, I would try to keep the tank a good ways from where your dog is to help reduce the stress for your water dragon.
How old is the dragon you are considering?

Let me know what you decide to do.

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.