Reptiles/texas spiny lizard rehabilitation

lizard\'s head
lizard's head  

I've been looking around the Internet to see if I couldn't find the answer myself, and found this site. I've seen you have an immense amount of experience with lizards, and today I've caught a Texas spiny lizard. I know not to take something in from the wild, but the reason I've taken her in is because she has been ran over with the lawn mower (by the tires, thankfully the blades were not spinning at the time) I have some pictures I've taken of her. But I wanted an expert opinion on if she could even be saved. I've caught a couple grasshoppers, about an inch long each, but she has not tried eating yet. I've watched her intently for the past few hours now, and haven't even seen her open her mouth. Both of her eyes also look closed, and I'm thinking she cannot see.
If you need, I can e-mail you more pictures, but I'm only limited to two with this initial question.
I know you're very busy, and I thank you for your time.

This was a push mower or riding lawn mower? This looks like she sustained an intestinal prolapse, and if she was run over my a riding lawn mower it's unlikely she is going to survive and she is just suffering, in which case I would recommend putting her in a bag containing a cup with some baking soda in the bottom and then pour some vinegar slowly over the top of the baking soda so that it doesn't spill over. This will create CO2, and then close the bag up and let her breathe it and go to sleep. If she was run over by a push mower she MIGHT have a chance, but pretty much only if you keep that exposed tissue dampened with some petrolatum gel and wrapped in some gauze and ship her to me in Wichita Falls. She's not going to eat in a condition like that and you shouldn't even be trying. She's in no state for it. If you can't get her to me or a vet for treatment, then she needs to be put down because that cloaca prolapse is going to be fatal unless someone who knows exactly what they are doing sees her very very soon. I mean in the next couple of days, or she's dead. There's nothing you can do for her at home otherwise that's going to save her. You can contact me with more photos on my page at  

YOU WILL GET A REJECTION OF YOUR QUESTION IF YOU FAIL TO FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO QUESTIONER IN FULL!. I am primarily here to assist with health concerns. I am here for the more difficult questions. Not for questions that you could research & easily find the answer yourself. My standards are that you provide DETAILED and RELEVANT background history on your pet before you ask me any question about it other than GENDER or ID. The requested information is in the instructions to questioner. Failure to answer each of those questions to provide that background, will result in your question being rejected. I can answer questions related reptile husbandry, identification (esp. in Texas and the SW), legal aspects, and advanced level medical care. I am the director of Wichita Falls Reptile Rescue (TX), a wildlife rehabilitator specializing in reptiles, a founding member of The Society for Horned Lizard Preservation, a subscriber to the International Veterinary Information Service,, educational content contributor to, and a Dept of State Health Services accredited animal control instructor (CE) for reptile handling. I do most of my own veterinary care in-house, including minor surgery and necropsy. I am most experienced in Chelonia with box turtles and common smaller tortoises; and in Squamata with everything from Anoles, Geckos, Beardies, and Monitors, to venomous snakes. I am most known for my expertise with horned lizards (Phrynosoma). With snakes, my primary expertise is in Crotalids (rattlesnakes), but I can answer a broad range of questions about various species. I am not aware of any reptile related question that I would not be able to provide some reasonable answer for. I have a direct style and may tell you something you did not want to hear; but the welfare of the animal comes FIRST with me, and I will always reflect that position in my answer, despite how it might make you feel.

I am a non-academic herpetologist with 25+ years reptile experience, and I am an accredited Texas Dept of State Health Services Animal Control Instructor for Reptiles (CE). I am a reptile rescuer, reptile wildlife rehabilitator, and subscriber to the International Veterinary Information Service, wikivet, and article/journal content contributor to Lafebervet. I have medical and scientific resources available, and I perform in house reptile veterinary care for my rescues. I am not a vet, but I read from the same materials and have had to correct quite a few in the past. The average vet is not well versed with reptile physiology and medical treatments.

Animals that I am currently caring for, or have significant rehabilitation and husbandry experience with: Horned Lizards (5 species); Eastern and Western Box Turtles; Painted, RES, YBS, Soft-Shell, and Cooter aquatic turtles; Russian Tortoises; Fire Bellied Toads; Fire Bellied Newts; Ornate Horned Frogs; Green Iguanas; Desert Iguanas; Spiny Lizards; Long Nosed Leopard Lizards; Anoles; Racerunners; Collared Lizards; Bullsnakes; Eastern Ratsnakes; Great Plains Ratsnakes; Kingsnakes; Gartersnakes; Cornsnakes; Boas; Pythons; Bearded Dragons; Water Dragons; Massasauga Rattlesnakes; Western Diamondback Rattlesnakes; Leopard, Mediterranean, Golden, Indo-Pacific, African White-Spotted Geckos; Savannah Monitors; Jeweled Curly-Tailed Lizards; Long-Tailed Grass Lizards; Fox Squirrels; Deer Mice; Hispid Cotton Rats; Merriam's Pocket Mice; Eastern Cotton-Tails; Blue Bar racing pigeon; Budgies; Asian Forest Scorpions.

Co-Founder & Director: Wichita Falls Reptile Rescue

Founder: The Society for Horned Lizard Preservation

Publications contributor. The Horned Lizard Husbandry Manual - self published 75 pages of care information on genus Phrynosoma.

Wikipedia entry "Horned Lizards" - contributed to a majority of the content., and various reptile related forums and email lists under the handles "fireside3" and PhrynosomaTexas".

My hands-on field, rehabilitation, and captive husbandry experience beats a PhD any day of the week. I am also a state accredited animal control instructor for reptile handling.

I was requested to provide my care manual on the Desert Horned Lizard (Phrynosoma platyrhinos), for the Montreal zoo. My manual is also used by several other zoological institutions in N. America. I also teach reptile education to summer camps, and instruct wildlife rehabilitators on live saving and rehab techniques with reptiles.