Reptiles/Bearded dragon

My beardie Sam who I have been discussing with you, I had a few more questions regarding temp in tank. There is a hot and cool side what temp should the hot side be at if the basking area(spot) is really low to the ground as Sam is so tiny and not well, and what temp should the cool side be? So we need to monitor three temperatures? The hot and cool side And the basking spot which is a higher heat or is there only a hot and cool side and the hot side is considered his basking side? Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Hello Valerie,

The basking temperatures should be in a range of 95-110 with a cooler end of around 78-82.  Be sure to use a digital probe or temp gun for best accuracy.  The ambient temperatures of the tank should be no higher than 85 so he can properly thermoregulate his body temperatures.
If you need to, you can lower his basking log to help him out since he isn't doing well right now so he stays warm enough.

Do you have pictures of him & his tank set up also?

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.