Reptiles/bearded dragon

my dragon has what looks like a red sack coming out of his butt he is about 8 years old and this showed up about 5 days ago can you tell me what it might be and how to take of it thanks charles

Hello Charles,

OH that is not good.  That is a colon or rectal prolapse.  
He needs to see a vet immediately as soon as possible.  In the meantime, you can try getting him soaked in a cool sugar bath.  That can help to reduce some of the swelling but not sure if it will allow it to go back in or not if it is that badly prolapsed.  
You can also get some vaseline or ky jelly to keep it moist to avoid it from drying out.
Do you have a picture of him?
Is his beard black at all?
Also, please review your tank set up with me, such as the type & brand of UVB lighting, temperatures & supplementation schedule.  What does he eat normally & what type of substrate do you use for him?

Let me know how he is doing.

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.