Reptiles/Bearded dragon Sam

Hi Tracie, I have been writing you about my beardie Sam and not long ago early evening he looked like he was pooping out his bowels a second time and I gently pushed it back very small amount and bathed him. I am wondering if I somehow blocked his vent the other day when I bathed him in pedialite and to to much calcium powder? Is this a possibility? I added a sugar water paste to bring down swelling as web site suggested and was going to apply plain ky jelly. I know this is desperate but I am desperate. He did just take the rest of his mess with the chicken baby food, and I will keep him off solids and on babyfood and pumpkin. Thanks in advance for everything.

Hello Valerie,

How is Sam doing tonight?
I am glad to hear that he took his baby food & other fluids/foods, too without a problem.
How much calcium powder are you giving him daily?  I don't think pushing the area back in would block it but when you do, be very gentle so you don't injure him.
Has the sugar water helped?  Did you use KY or vaseline?
Keep him around 80 in his tank overnight, too.  

Keep me posted on him.

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.