Reptiles/LED lighting for aquatic plants & turtles

I have 3 female red ear sliders that are 6 years old,they are in a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank which has been in operation for 3 years. I like to feed the turtles water lettuce, water hyacinth, and anacharis that I grow in a pond outside during the summer. I would like to purchase a LED so I can grow these plants in the turtle tank year round. Is there a LED light that can grow aquatic plants and be compatable with the turtles? I currently have a T8, T5, and two Powersun bulbs to provide UVB. My main concern is the health of the turtles.

This is a great question. I'd like to thank you for being a great reptile owner. Most of the questions I get are of the "I dropped my lizard" or "My dog chewed on my snake" variety. I wish I could give you a concrete answer to your question, but honestly I"m not sure. I did a little research and found a couple of places where people were discussing similar situations. Perhaps you can find some info there.

Sorry I could not be of more help.
I wish you and your turtle girls all the best

Jennifer C Parnell

I can answer questions about health, diet, behavior, housing requirements, common illnesses, and general husbandry of most reptiles. My answers are not a substitute for veterinary care. If I don't feel confident about answering your question, I can generally point you to someone who can answer it, or advise you to seek veterinary help.

My father is a licensed veterinarian for 40+ years. He specialties include venomous American snakes, reptiles, rodents, primates, dogs, cats, goats, geese. I grew up assisting him and have always maintained rescued, injured, or unwanted reptiles. I'm familiar with snakes, most common lizards, turtles, terrapins and tortoises. I'm also familiar with Bearded Dragons and currently have several.

veterinary technician wildlife biology