Reptiles/sulcata tortoise

My tortoise has a soft shell. It is soft on the bottom of the shell. I know it needs calcium and i thought lettace and romane had calcium in it. Could you please tell me what I need to feed it. the type of tortoise is sulcata. Please answer soon!

Hello Ashton,

How large is your sulcata tortoise, do you have any pictures of it?
Feeding just leafy greens wont be enough to maintain the shell & calcium levels, unfortunately.
What other greens & foods do you feed?
You can use regular calcium powder on her greens & any other foods you use.  You should be able to find a regular calcium powder at most petstores.  
Are you using a UVB light also?  If not, it is highly recommended to use one.  The best two tube bulbs are either the Reptisun 10 or the Arcadia D3 12% that use a regular T8 light fixture.
There are also High Output tube bulbs by both brands too that are T5 light fixtures you could consider that are more intense.

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.