Reptiles/Tortoises ' Care

Question
Hi there, i would like to ask regarding about my red eared slider tortoises. I recently bought home rocks from beach to put inside my tortoises tank. I would like to know whether is it okay to use beach rocks? I have rinse it with water to clean any sands in it. Thank you!

Answer
Hi Nik

The rocks themselves are fine to use. The concern is what may have been on the rocks. I would suggest giving them a good scrub with a brush and dish soap followed by a very thorough rinse. That should remove any oil residue or other contaminants that may be on them. If the beach is used by people for swimming there is likely little danger of this but if there are industries nearby or the area has a lot of boat traffic there could be some chemical pollutants on the rocks.

Reptiles

Thea