Reptiles/Leopard gecko fine now

feeling a little better
feeling a little bette  
QUESTION: I just wanted to thank you, and let you know my gecko is fine. He passed a large stool this morning, and I took him to the vet, she said he has minor brusing from it, but it would heal on it's own. I also bought a heating pad. He's still not 100 percent, but a little  more active than he was. She also said he was a bit dehydrated, so im letting him soak, if there's any tips you can give me to help him feel better faster id appreciate it. She also recommend me come back and have them test him for pinworms do you think he might have them? Again thank you so much for helping me, im so glad the vegetable oil worked, you are amazing!

ANSWER: Hello Joleen,

Wow, that is great news to hear!  :-)
So he must have been a little backed up, poor thing.  I honestly think that he was not warm enough to pass it very well.  The baby food & oil does help out quite a bit.
Great, is he liking the heating pad then?  
That is fine, you can give him a daily soak to help out with dehydration.  If he will take any oral fluids, you can try a diluted pedialyte or gatorade mix for him that can help with dehydration.  
Sometimes they can develop a higher level of worms or parasites when stressed.  If his eating doesn't start to resume to normal then a fecal would be a good idea.  Pinworms are pretty common but it's just when the levels get too high is when they start to affect their health.

Let me know how he is doing.

feeling better
feeling better  
QUESTION: I just wanted to let you know Bucky is feeling much better, and back to his playful self! He likes the heat pad, and I also bought a infrared basking light that seems to be easier on his eyes. I'm feeding him smaller crickets now, they seem to be easier on his stomach, I am planning on continuing feeding him these unless he gets a lot bigger. He is going to the potty normally now, and not dehydrated anymore, I mixed Gatorade with his water and he loved it. He just shed his skin and is so bright and healthy looking now! Thank you for all of your help!

Hello Joleen,

That is wonderful he is feeling better!  :-)
He does look more spry & has bright eyes, too.  
The smaller insects will be much easier for him to digest, I completely agree.  I am sure that he likes the extra heating & lighting also.  
It just takes some time for things to get through their system.  I am glad that he recovered well.  The gatorade & water is usually well tolerated so that is great he loved it.  
I love his colors!  
Tell him hello for me & I am happy he is 100% again!

I am happy that I could help out.
Have a great holiday season.  If you need anything, let me know.

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.