Reptiles/snake

Question
Snake
Snake  

Snake
Snake  
I stumbled across this snake while in the yard today moving my hose. when it was startled it rose its head and neck and it flattened out. I live in the Bahamas and we don't have any venomous snakes, I normally just chase snakes away but I was concerned that it might be a cobra and didn't want it to get away so I chose to dispatch it. its about 4 feet long, a lot larger that the normal garden type snakes we have around here. I have never seen one quite like this, its very dark and silky looking and has a round pupil.
thanks.

Answer
John, I can't rule out that you didn't stumble onto a cobra...!!!???  That head looks a little like some of the cobras I have seen before.  Take your pictures to the local zoo and see if they can help.  I don't have any books on cobras and deal mainly with the snakes of North America and the ones that are commonly found in the pet trade.  The only one this snake is close to is something commonly called the "cribo" which if I recall was a Caribbean rat snake-so maybe, but the head was usually lighter in color-honestly it has been more than a decade since I've seen one so I could be mistaken. Sorry, that I can't give you better advice.  Good luck and let me know what you find out please!

Reptiles

BPC