Reptiles/Veiled Chameleon

Question
What I thought was MBD is probably Gout. He has swollen back legs and has fell off his branch for the first time this morning. I just got him from a cousin who dinldint want him anymore and have done tons of research. I was just wondering if I could go to a store and just buy Allipurinol.. Or if I had to get it subscribed to him.. I would just like to know the dosag to give him and if it is alright to use. I have a mist system and I also spray the walls and plants to give him opportunities to drink.. I just his crickets with calcium and d3 2 times a week. And feed him superworms and brown crickets.. I want to help him before it's to late. Thank you.

Answer
Hello Tecumseh,

I am sorry to hear your chameleon is not doing well.  They are very prone to gout, indeed!
Do you have a picture of him I could see?
What type & brand of UVB light are you using for him, was any UVB light used on him previously or not?
I would probably try to increase his calcium to 3 times per week right now, with extra oral hydration.  The misting system sounds terrific for him, I am sure he loves that!  What are the temperatures in the tank for him?
The allopurinol likely wont be able to be found in a local store, but you can order it online without a prescription from a couple of sites.  I can send the links if you need & help with the dosage also for him.  How much does he weigh?

Tracie

Reptiles

Tracie Kretzschmar