Reptiles/Reptiles leopard geckos

A few weeks ago I noticed tip of my leopard geckos tail is dried and crusty. I keep checking on him thinking that
Is normal and it would go away. Instead, my geckos tail is getting worse and even more dried up. He is worrying me and should I be worried about it? I is there anything I can do about it without vet care expenses?

Hello Kayla,

Do you have any pictures of his tail?
It sounds like he had some retained shed issues.  Do you leave any crickets in his tank that could have bitten him possibly?
Leopard geckos normally can drop their tails if they are damaged.  If it is already dried up if there isn't any infection then the dried up part should fall off eventually.  
Is he eating anything?
You could get some antibiotic ointment to put on the end of the tail, or some unpasteurized raw honey to put on it too.  If you use the honey, just be sure there are not any crickets or other insects in his tank as they will be drawn to the honey & can nibble on the tail.

Let me know how he is doing.  

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.