Best way to diet a female leo? I spent two months away from home and now my already big girl have gotten huge. I have changed her diet to only crickets since they have less fat and only eating 4 twice a week. She still seems to be gaining. She even has fat deposits around her neck. Shes always been large so im not sure if its possible to have a metabolism issue? I have had 4 leos for about 8 years and never weight problems before.

Hello Tiffany,

Wow, how old is she?  Do you have pictures of her?
What were you feeding her previously & what type of foods were they feeding her when you were gone?
It is a good possibility she could have fatty liver or a thyroid issue.  Can you get her to a vet for a blood draw to see what the values are?
For now, focus on greens/veggies, but she still needs some protein.  The crickets are fine for her.
You can also get some liquid or powdered L-carnitine to help with fat metabolism, too.
You can email me at:

When you get the L-carnitine I can help with dosing.
What is your tank setup like for her, are you using a UVB source & calcium supplementation?

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.