Reptiles/chinese water dragon

Question
hello, i have a chinese water dragon, i just found out it is a female, in got her last summer from petsmart , she was very small then but is about 12 inches now, she is eating fine and does come out but lately seems to be spending a lot of time in her log,she is out from about 6 am and goes in at about 4pm , she used to stay out longer , when she poops it is not runny but not solid either . i was wondering a sure fire way to check and make sure she is  not gravid or has eggs stuck or whatever

Answer
Hi Johnathan,

You should not have to worry about her being gravid yet. She is still too young and too small. At 12 inches, she would be around a year and egg production generally starts closer to 2 years of age. It is also size dependent.

It is good that you are aware of the issue though. Many owners of female reptiles don't realize that eggs are a possibility even without breeding and lose their females to complications from egg retention.

In another 6 to 12 months you can make sure she has an appropriate place to lay her eggs if she does produce some. Several inches (7 to 9) of moist sandy soil is needed. A container hidden in one corner of the enclosure is suitable.

Gravid females will also gradually stop eating completely at which point you should be able to see the slight outline of eggs along their sides.  

Reptiles

Thea