Reptiles/leapord gecko

QUESTION: Hi I have had my leapord gecko for 6-7 years all of a sudden her jaw got swollen on one side and it looks like maybe part of her head is swollen. I have no idea why this happen.

ANSWER: Hello Sylvia,

Do you have any pictures of her jaw & the swelling?
Does she eat crickets on a regular basis? It could be from a cricket bite possibly or some other type of abscess or infection.
Is she getting calcium also?

Let me know how she is doing.

QUESTION: Yes she does eat crickets and gets calcium, is there something I can give her maybe antibiotics ointment how does it go away she's had it for quite sometime now.

Hello Sylvia,

That is an awfully large abscess & really needs to be drained/lanced.  
If you are not able to get her to a vet, you can attempt to drain it at home under sterile conditions but it isn't recommended.  She does need a broad spectrum antibiotic since there is some type of infection going on there.
You could order Baytril online to get a jumpstart on it.  You could also try colloidal silver, too for help with an infection.  I have a small online store & carry colloidal silver liquid & colloidal silver gel also.  
Is she eating anything right now?
Antibiotic ointment would help out only after the area is drained, for topical use but would not help with a systemic infection internally though.

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.