Reptiles/species identification

I live in Cape Coral Southwest Florida.
Of course we have many species of lizards in this area.
In my front yard I have a new visitor that I do not recognize from this area. I am concerned that it might be an escaped pet that should not be released in this area. I am a volunteer at the peace river Wildlife Center and do not know if I should try to capture this or if it is a native species that should be left alone.
Please let me know what you think.

george joseph

Excellent question. In all honesty I cannot tell what sort of lizard is in the picture. I wish I could be more helpful, I'm not an expert in native florida reptiles. A local exotic vet or a reptile expert from your area would be better equipped to identify this little fellow.

I'm sorry I couldn't help,

all the best

Jennifer C Parnell

I can answer questions about health, diet, behavior, housing requirements, common illnesses, and general husbandry of most reptiles. My answers are not a substitute for veterinary care. If I don't feel confident about answering your question, I can generally point you to someone who can answer it, or advise you to seek veterinary help.

My father is a licensed veterinarian for 40+ years. He specialties include venomous American snakes, reptiles, rodents, primates, dogs, cats, goats, geese. I grew up assisting him and have always maintained rescued, injured, or unwanted reptiles. I'm familiar with snakes, most common lizards, turtles, terrapins and tortoises. I'm also familiar with Bearded Dragons and currently have several.

veterinary technician wildlife biology