Reptiles/Chinese water dragon

Hello, I have a Chinese water dragon who is about 8 months. He puffs up every time I put my hand in his cage and doesn't allow me to carry him. Im scared to try again because I don't know how hard he bites. Any advice on taming him because I really don't want to give him away.

Hello Diana,

Poor guy, how long have you had him now?
Is he eating very well right now?  Could you run over your setup with me too, such as the type & brand of UVB, the temperatures, etc?
When you go to pick him up are you trying to scoop him up from underneath, supporting his tail also?  
They can be very hard to tame, but he will eventually get used to being handled.  You can try getting his favorite food & hand feeding it to him to see if that helps out.  Be sure you don't move too fast as they can startle very easily.
Do you have any pictures of him?
It can definitely hurt from being bitten but don't let him think he has gotten the upper hand or he will keep puffing up.  If you need to get some gloves, you can try that next just to see if you can start winning his trust.

Let me know how he is doing.

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.