Reptiles/leopard geco

My gecko escaped about 8 months ago...we thought we lost her for ever as we have also got cat's!.
However we found her on Thursday... she looks ok....a few white spots on her head ? But she does not appear to be eating? Is there any fruit substances from crickets and worms do use have any advice on what she may need .am amazed she is back .
Thanks for any advice

Hi Tracey,

You must have been thrilled to find her. That's great.

It is very common for lost and found reptiles to not feed immediately. I hear it all the time. Logically, you would think they would be starving and eat voraciously but they don't.

It is a form of relocation stress. We normally think of relocation stress occurring when a reptile moves from the store or breeder to its new owner. They often take a week or more to settle in and feed well or at all.

Your leo has essentially been living wild for many months so the adjustment is even more extreme. You may also find that she is a bit more nervous when handled.

If she seems otherwise fine then she likely just needs a bit of time. Try offering some waxworms which are calorie dense and usually loved by leos.

It appears my earlier response to you disappeared somehow so I apologize if this seems late.  

I can answer questions on the proper husbandry and diet of Iguanas, bearded dragons, geckoes, skinks, chameleons, tortoises, box turtles, treefrogs, non-venomous snakes and tarantulas. Also the breeding of some species of feeder insects. I have no experience with venonmous snakes and only limited experience with aquatic turtles.

I have been keeping and breeding reptiles for over 30 years. In addition to my regular job in the medical field I also worked for several years in a pet store that specialized only in exotics. The job entailed both caring for and answering questions on innumerable species. It required constant, extensive research into a wide range of reptiles. I have been called to appear on televised national media (CBC, CTV and Life Channel) as well as CBC radio to discuss the proper care of reptiles and other exotics in captivity. I currently own one or more species of those listed under my expertise with the exception of chameleons. I owned chameleons for years but keep none currently. I keep over 20 snakes comprising 5 species, both Colubridae and Boidae. I bred corn snakes for several years. I have a particular interest in treefrogs and currently have 5 different species. I've raised redfoot tortoises for 10 years and have two iguanas, one for 12 years.

A small and now defunct local magazine called "Pet Vue"

Diagnostic medical microbiology with some parasitology experience.