Reptiles/left hind leg quivers

Hi I have a juvenile leopard gecko I got from the pet store on 9/17. She has been walking fine until last night 9/23, that is when I notice her hind left leg slightly quivers when she lifts it up and hesitates for a second then move it forward.
This is what I did:
I dusted crickets on September 17 (3),19(4),20(6),21(5),22(12 small 1/8" crickets). September 18 I dusted 3 crickets with with multivitamin/phosphorus. 9/23 I gave her 10 small pheonix worms no dusting at all since they have calcium- phosphorus ratio, protein.

I am not going to give her any D3 for 2 weeks. in hopes she gets better and the leg quiver stops and there is no other damage.

I was told D3 is toxic and the early signs is leg quivering which i caught immediately. can this be reversed? Should i refrain from giving her any till 2 weeks are up? and should i just dust with pure calcium?

I wish I could go back to Saturday and not dust crickets till Tuesday.
I feel so terrible that I am about to cry for being stupid and not read up on D3 overdose toxicity before hand.

I know D3 is fat soluble and stays in the body for a long time, but like everything it should dissipate, so, how long would that take?
I have an exotic vet appointment tomorrow, he specializes in Leopard Geckos. Should I have her blood test done to determine if it is indeed D3 overdosing? Could being somewhat constipated cause a hind leg to quiver slightly?

she is a healthy eater. Clear eyes and skin, she is alert.

Hello Faye,

I am sorry this has happened.  While I can't guarantee that she has suffered from D3 toxicity, it certainly is possible.  So you dusted each time with D3 calcium powder?  She was not having any issues prior to that?
It can be toxic if given in too large of amounts, yes.  Normally is seen more in larger lizards but can be seen in geckos too.  
Go ahead & give her a break from all dusting for a couple of weeks, letting her system flush out some.
If she has gotten too much D3, you can try getting some activated charcoal to help get her system cleaned out from toxins.  You are correct, it is a fat soluble vitamin so it is stored in fat stores.  Leopard geckos are specialized & their livers can store D3 which is one reason why they don't need much supplementation of it.  It may take  a few weeks to a couple of months to get her cleared out but the symptoms may subside long before that though.
Impaction can also cause slight twitching along with back leg paralysis, too.  The feeders sound like they are small enough for her.  What type of substrate is she on, sand, felt, paper towels or sand?

Let me know how she is doing & how the vet visit goes.  

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.