Reptiles/leopard gecko

Question
Chuck
Chuck  
Chuck
Chuck  
QUESTION: My son's leopard gecko has a black growth on his back. It has just recently started growing and he is very worried. Unfortunately, I cannot afford a vet visit for him at this time.

ANSWER: Hello Laurie,

Poor guy!  Chuck looks good, otherwise.  :-)  What is his age?
How long has he had the growth & does it seem to hurt him when & if you touch it?
Is it hard or soft to the touch?

Did it occur last time he shed?
It looks like it is a cyst, wart type growth, or an abscess of some type.  Has he been bitten by a cricket or other feeder that you know of, or possibly injured himself?
You could try getting some coconut oil to put on it to see if that helps to soften it up some, so it could possibly shed off next time.
I sell Manuka honey, which is a thick, medicinal honey that is used to treat a number of skin ailments, etc you could try also.  You mentioned it was growing, is it getting larger by the day?
Is he eating normally also?

Let me know how he is doing.
Tracie

QUESTION: Thanks for your reply. Chuck is three years old now. I have been putting coconut oil on the affected area, as you suggested. He is getting ready to shed again soon. The spot is hard. Chuck doesn't like me poking at him but it does not seem to hurt him when I touch the spot. He is out and about often and is eating normally.

Answer
Hello Laurie,

How is Chuck doing today?
Great, maybe the coconut oil will help out a little bit.  If it is hard, then it may be
a cyst or something that could possibly shed off, but not sure.  I know he doesn't like
it to be touched any but does it move with the skin or does it seem attached like it is
growing from inside like a tumor, etc?  If it is just a skin growth, that would be easier
to deal with than a tumor I think with a small gecko.  
Keep using the coconut oil daily to see if that helps.  You could also look into trying
raw unpasteurized honey or manuka honey on it to see if that helps, too.
Maybe his upcoming shed will help also.
I am glad to hear though that he is eating normally!
Let me know how he is doing.

Tracie

Reptiles

Tracie Kretzschmar