Reptiles/Eye infection in an anole

I have an anole who eye looks infected its eye has a mucusy substance in it she can open it but doesn't like to. The internet says to put hydrogen peroxide or neosporin on it, is it safe?

Hello Carly,

I am sorry your anole's eye is infected.  Did she possibly retain an eye cap during shedding?
I would not use hydrogen peroxide on it, as it is cytotoxic & could destroy the eye.  The neosporin is questionable, as it is petroleum based.  
I would get some sterile saline solution first, from a pharmacy section in a grocery store or CVS, etc to flush & rinse the eye out.  
There is an eye ointment called Terramycin you could look for at petstores, Tractor supply or Agmart, to see if they carry it.  
I have a small online reptile store too, which I carry it if you need or want to try it.
Do you have any pictures of the eye?
Is she eating anything right now?

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.