Reptiles/tail injury bearded dragon

We have 2 beardies that are the same age but for some reason one is at least 4 or  times the size of the other.  The larger one Harley bit the smaller one Quinny about a month ago right behind her eye. Scared us to death thought we might loose her, but we nursed her back to her regular self and kept them separated for a while.  We slowly put them back together only when I was watching them at first and then full time just recently.  They seemed to be fine and now Harley has bitten Quinny's tail at least twice. About and inch and a half is dead, there is a bloddy spot and it is limp there.  Does it need to be amputated by a vet???  Will it heal on its own like her head did??
Please advise we are very concerned.  Thank You Very Much

ANSWER: Hello Michelle,

I am sorry this happened.  Unfortunately, if the tail area is getting infected, it will need to be amputated as the infection will continue to spread upwards o the tail.  Is it shriveling up & drying out like it is going to just break off?
You wont be able to house them together, they are solitary animals & don't do well housed with another dragon.  There are rare exceptions to housing females together.
Do you have any pictures I could see?
For now, I would put some antibiotic ointment on the wound, or raw, unpasteurized honey to help with any infection that may be going on right now.
Did the head heal up nicely & is she able to have full vision in that eye too?
I am glad you were able to get her back to health after the first incident.
The reason that Harley is larger is due to dominance over the other one.  

I highly recommend not putting them back together again, or she may kill your other one the next time.
Do you already have another tank setup ready?

Let me know how she is doing.

QUESTION: Thank you Tracie,
it only happened today, I see no sign of infection, the dead part looks like it will just fall off, the bite site just looks red from blood but is not bleeding. We will put ointment on it.  And yes her head healed completely and she tracks crickets on both sides so thankfully I think she recovered really well especially since it was our first incident with a beardie.  The wound closed and while she was recovering I held her on my chest and fed her the apetite stuff and baby food and water to make sure she was eating .  Thank you so much for your help!

Hello Michelle,

That's great there is no infection starting right now.  Hopefully it wont get infected but definitely start putting some ointment on it just to be sure.  Keep it as clean as you can also.  I am glad to hear her head wound healed up & she didn't lose any sight & can still hunt.  That is important she can hunt & eat.  
The baby food is helpful, too.  That will help supplement her in case she isn't eating as much as she should be.  
It sounds like she is going to recover well & should be able to keep most of her tail then.

Let me know how things are going.  If you have any pictures, definitely post some for me.

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.