Reptiles/Infection or calcium deficiency?

Question
Hello! My name is Matthew and I was wondering if my lizard might have either an infection of calcium deficiency. He has a buildup of hardened puss jus around his gum line on either sides of his jaw. We have been feeding him a mixture of greens that we recently have noticed has spinach and Swiss chards in it, and we have read somewhere that both swiss chards and spinach are bad for the lizard as they have such a high calcium content that they cancel out any calcium sprinkled on. Is this true?

Answer
Hi Matthew,

Both spinach and Swiss chard are high in calcium oxalates which bind with calcium to form calcium salts. Calcium in this form cannot be absorbed by your lizard. That is the reason that those greens should not be used as a staple food but included only occasionally.

Calcium deficiency can cause the lower jaw to become soft, distorted and swollen looking but I don't think that is what is going on with your pet.

Your description sounds more like an infection known as mouth rot.

Make sure his temperature is correct. From his diet I'm guessing you either have a Bearded Dragon or an Iguana and the basking area for both need to be right around 38C. The correct temperature will ensure that his immune system is functioning well.

You can also clean out the crusty area with a cotton swab dipped in hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide is available where they sell first aid supplies like Band-aids. Dip the swab lightly so that it is not dripping and hold your lizard with his head tilted down. You want to avoid having any go down his throat. It will bubble and foam as it lifts and removes the dried discharge.

Hydrogen peroxide is good for the initial cleaning but should not be used often or repeatedly as it can prevent irritated tissue from healing. I would suggest following that by swabbing on a thin layer of antibiotic ointment or some diluted Betadine. Betadine is povidone iodide and is also available at drug stores. Dilute it about half with water. It will take care of most bacterial and also fungal infections.

If you don't start to see improvement after a few days of home treatment then you should consult a vet. Good luck.

http://www.critterology.com/mouth_rot_or_infectious_stomatitis_in_reptiles-148.h  

Reptiles

Thea