Reptiles/Kenyan sand boa

Can i put two female Kenyan Sand Boas together???

Hi Gabe,

Your question is one that often generates differing opinions. Generally it is advised to always house all snakes separately outside of breeding season.

With the exception of hibernaculums, snakes are solitary creatures and housing them separately is encouraged to reduce stress, avoid cannibalism and to better monitor each animals health.

Now, with that said, many keepers do successfully keep female, similar sized sand boas together with no problem whatsoever. This article in Reptiles Magazine is by a long time breeder of Kenyans and he mentions co-habitating them himself.

If you do decide to house them together I would encourage you to monitor them closely for the first few weeks. Be particularly careful at feeding time. Feed them in separate containers and keep them separate for another 30 minutes or so afterwards. Snakes remain in a hyper feeding mode immediately after eating and are more prone to striking anything that smells like food. That would include a cage mate who also just ate and still smells like a mouse!

I can answer questions on the proper husbandry and diet of Iguanas, bearded dragons, geckoes, skinks, chameleons, tortoises, box turtles, treefrogs, non-venomous snakes and tarantulas. Also the breeding of some species of feeder insects. I have no experience with venonmous snakes and only limited experience with aquatic turtles.

I have been keeping and breeding reptiles for over 30 years. In addition to my regular job in the medical field I also worked for several years in a pet store that specialized only in exotics. The job entailed both caring for and answering questions on innumerable species. It required constant, extensive research into a wide range of reptiles. I have been called to appear on televised national media (CBC, CTV and Life Channel) as well as CBC radio to discuss the proper care of reptiles and other exotics in captivity. I currently own one or more species of those listed under my expertise with the exception of chameleons. I owned chameleons for years but keep none currently. I keep over 20 snakes comprising 5 species, both Colubridae and Boidae. I bred corn snakes for several years. I have a particular interest in treefrogs and currently have 5 different species. I've raised redfoot tortoises for 10 years and have two iguanas, one for 12 years.

A small and now defunct local magazine called "Pet Vue"

Diagnostic medical microbiology with some parasitology experience.