Reptiles/Map turtles

don't have sea turtles but I'm in dier need of help if you can please.  I have 2 baby map turtles & my boy is really sick.  I'm worried he won't make it.  My girl is developing the same white bumps on her skin that he has.  I just soaked them both in  80 salt bath, let them dry,  n put them in a separate tank since they normally share a tank with fish & frogs.  Is there anything I can do that is better & faster?  My boy can hardly move & won't eat

Hi Shannon,

The situation sounds quite serious from your description and a vet visit is obviously your best hope. If that is not an option then what I would suggest trying is treating the affected areas with povidone iodine which is available over the counter at drug stores. One of the brand names is Betadine, there could be others,  ask the pharmacist.

Betadine is effective against both fungal infections most bacterial infections as well and you could be dealing with either or both.

You will need to "dry dock" the turtles after coating the affected areas with the Betadine.
Dry docking is simply keeping them in a dry container for several hours after treatment to let it take effect and putting them back into water only for a couple hours  to hydrate and (hopefully) eat. They are not happy out of the water but it is necessary to the treatment.

Their immune system is very temperature dependent. You will also need to keep them warm (mid to high 80's F) during treatment.

Best of luck.  

I can answer questions on the proper husbandry and diet of Iguanas, bearded dragons, geckoes, skinks, chameleons, tortoises, box turtles, treefrogs, non-venomous snakes and tarantulas. Also the breeding of some species of feeder insects. I have no experience with venonmous snakes and only limited experience with aquatic turtles.

I have been keeping and breeding reptiles for over 30 years. In addition to my regular job in the medical field I also worked for several years in a pet store that specialized only in exotics. The job entailed both caring for and answering questions on innumerable species. It required constant, extensive research into a wide range of reptiles. I have been called to appear on televised national media (CBC, CTV and Life Channel) as well as CBC radio to discuss the proper care of reptiles and other exotics in captivity. I currently own one or more species of those listed under my expertise with the exception of chameleons. I owned chameleons for years but keep none currently. I keep over 20 snakes comprising 5 species, both Colubridae and Boidae. I bred corn snakes for several years. I have a particular interest in treefrogs and currently have 5 different species. I've raised redfoot tortoises for 10 years and have two iguanas, one for 12 years.

A small and now defunct local magazine called "Pet Vue"

Diagnostic medical microbiology with some parasitology experience.