Reptiles/Gecko Abcess

I came across your post about draining an abscess on a leopard gecko. I am attempting to perform this same procedure and I was wondering if you could share the dosage for the Baytril (which I ordered from the link you supplied.) I really don't know exactly how much he weighs but I can't imagine more than 1-2 lbs. He's a normally sized 2 year old gecko.  Thanks so much for your help.

Kate DiFiore

ANSWER: Hello Kate,  :-)

I am sorry about your leopard, how is he doing now?
Sure, does the percentage listed on the label still say 22.7%?  Let me know & I can dose him.
For a leopard gecko, usually their  "average"  weight is from 50-80 grams.  So, I could just try to estimate a middle ground on that weight, if you would like.
Do you have more pictures of him?

Talk to you soon.

QUESTION: OMG I need immediate help. Drained abcess once, thought he was getting better. Abcess came back, drained again, flushed with saline just like I did last time. This time something happened-the saline formed a pocket under his throat. I'm freakin out. I don't know what to do!!

Hello Kate,

I am sorry that happened to Rocky! Geez, I wonder why it formed a pocket like that?
Is he ok or acting lethargic?  Can you hold him at a downward angle to see if you can
get any of it to drain out possibly?
Wow, if that doesn't go down, you may need to get him back to the vet.
I sent my email in the other reply, too.

Let me know how he is doing.

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.